Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Moroccan Bites = Michael's Delights

Food has a way of transporting you to another place like nothing else. Today, we had Moroccan food for lunch, and for a brief moment I felt as if I had been transported to a place both far and away. That is, until something happened that always happens when you're eating ethnic food in the good ol' US of A--reality hits and America rears its inescapably American head.

Today, she reared her head in the form of an ice cold Dr. Pepper and a strip mall. But those are just aesthetics. In fact, I'd be mad if they didn't have Dr. Pepper, and what good ethnic joint doesn't call a strip mall home? Let's just say that even though I was consciously in the United States, the food was good, presumably authentic, and the service was friendly.

The place, you ask? Moroccan Bites.

I actually first heard about the place earlier this week on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. When I realized how close I worked/lived to Moroccan Bites, I had to try it for myself. (And let's face it, I'm always looking for an excuse to eat out.)

I ordered the meat combo, a combination of chicken, beef, and lamb kebabs, served over rice, with lentils on the side. Anne ordered the lamb shank with Moroccan vegetables. I liked my meal and Anne LOVED hers. Her words: "I could live off the broth in the bottom of this bowl." To qualify that statement, lamb possesses magical properties in Anne's psyche. For her, lamb done well is like manna from heaven. And this was lamb done well.

After lunch, we sampled their cigar baklava (baklava made in the shape of a cigar) and what I think were chebakia, a fried honey dessert that tasted like Honey Nut Cheerios. Let me just say that the baklava was THE BEST baklava I've ever had (Anne, too).

As we walked out of the restaurant we were already planning our next trip back. I might even stop by tomorrow for more pastries.



--Michael

2 comments:

Lgcropper said...

That all sounds delicious. They sell great lamb chops at Sam's Club. We will fix you some lamb chops the next time you are here.

Unknown said...

Can we go there if we come when you're still there? Sounds heavenly!